There are many ways in which plastic extrusions are installed, with one of the simplest being to attach self-adhesive tape to the profile, before removing the cover and pushing into place when ready to affix. Self-adhesive or double-sided tape will stick to rigid PVC easily, giving a permanent and strong bond, but the choice and type of tape will depend on the surface to which the extrusions are to be attached. For more detail on tape types and on which surfaces they are suitable, visit our self-adhesive tape page, or download the Tape Testing PDF below.
Tape Testing PDF
Using tape will give several advantages over other fixing methods:
- it gives a more pleasing appearance than drilling and screwing
- our tapes have an almost instant grab, although they need to cure for about 24 hours for maximum adhesion
- they can be inexpensive to fit to the extrusion
- they are cleaner and less messy than using contact adhesive from a cartridge
- they are quick to fit, just peel away the liner, so save time on site. This is valuable for exhibitions or shopfitting when time on site is often limited
There are two methods of attaching tape during production runs of plastic extrusions, and the method depends on the profile, and how many strips are needed. Some profiles, generally flat, can have the tape gravity-fed onto the top surface in production, which removes the labour cost of fitting. For profiles where inline fitting is not possible, it can be applied as a secondary operation. To find out which option is possible for your profile, and to narrow down the most appropriate tape, contact us with your self-adhesive tape enquiry.